Knee Pain Plagues Millions Across the Country
Knee pain happens for many different reasons, including trauma, arthritis, and other similar inflammatory conditions. It affects millions of people – both young and old – and can be challenging to treat in many cases. Whether you’ve suffered an acute injury to the knee or are have arthritis, knee pain is often nagging and frustrating. While it may be second nature to take over-the-counter (OTC) pain medications to find relief, this isn’t a long-term solution. Relying on pain medications can often do more harm than good, as seen by the current opioid epidemic in the United States. With more than 50 million Americans facing chronic pain, it is no wonder we turn to OTC pain medications to manage our symptoms. However, there are numerous natural solutions to many common conditions, including knee pain.
At Texas Partners Healthcare Group, we understand how frustrating it can be to live in pain and discomfort. We strive to educate our patients and help them find solutions that address the root of the problem rather than merely masking your symptoms. Knee pain is something that millions of people worldwide face daily. Instead of immediately turning to pain medications or surgery to fix the problem, we encourage you to keep an open mind and explore more natural options. To learn more about the regenerative medicine therapies we offer, or if you are experiencing knee pain and are ready to tackle your symptoms head-on, contact us today.
Today we are going to take a closer look at knee pain and what you can do about it at home. If you are experiencing knee pain, either acute or chronic, we encourage you to try the below tips. If you are still living in pain afterward, contact Texas Partners Healthcare Group today and schedule an appointment. We understand that knee pain is different for every patient and will do everything we can to help you find pain management solutions that work for you.
Common Causes of Knee Pain
Knee pain can happen as the result of regular wear and tear, a recent injury, joint deterioration, or physical activity over time. The problem? We use our knee joints every single day, and most of us cannot afford to let pain or discomfort slow us down.
There are many different causes of knee pain, including:
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
- Ligament strains or sprains
- Joint deterioration
- Meniscus tear
- Bone tumors
- Lack of muscle flexibility
- Repetitive motion injuries
- Certain occupations
- Past injury
By understanding the cause of your knee pain, you will be better prepared to find ways to manage your symptoms. Now that we know what can cause knee pain, it’s time to look at how you can treat it naturally in the comfort of your own home.
Treat Knee Pain Naturally at Home
You may have noticed a cultural shift over the last year, or so, that focuses on self-care and natural remedies. This movement did not come out of the blue, but rather as a response to years of brushing symptoms to the side and trudging ahead. However, there have been numerous red flags that this way of living isn’t sustainable. Because of this, many people are turning inward and looking for solutions to common conditions that don’t involve pain medications, surgery, or conventional medicine.
Although treatment will depend on the exact cause of the problem, there are many simple remedies you can try on your own to help with knee pain. Before you schedule an appointment, try the following tricks to alleviate your knee pain at home:
- Physical activity – The majority of healthcare practitioners agree that exercise and movement are vital to boosting the health of tissues, muscles, joints, ligaments, and tendons. Exercises that strengthen and stretch the muscles around the knee joint can be extremely beneficial and help you find relief.
- Proper posture and support – Minimize knee strain by making sure you have good posture, wear supportive shoes, avoid prolonged sitting and low chairs, and more.
- Weight loss – Individuals who are overweight have a higher risk of knee pain. Because of this, you must work towards maintaining a healthy weight to avoid putting unnecessary pressure on the knees.
- Anti-inflammatory diet – Many foods fight inflammation and, in turn, knee pain. They include berries, fish high in omega-3 fatty acids, broccoli, avocados, green tea, peppers, mushrooms, grapes, turmeric, coffee, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Heat and cold therapy – Depending on the source of your pain, you may try heat and cold therapy to get the inflammation under control and promote relaxation at the same time.
- Wear the right shoes – This is a big one, but one that many people are don’t consider. Think of your feet as the base of your entire body. If you are on your feet a lot and don’t have the proper support, it can wreak havoc on your entire body. Pay attention to how your knees and hips feel when you are wearing specific shoes. It may be time to invest in some shoes with arch support.
Seeking Pain Relief
We hope the above will help you find relief from knee pain, whatever the cause may be. If you’ve tried these tips and are still in pain, give Texas Partners Healthcare Group a call today. Stem cell therapy and other forms of regenerative medicine have helped many people manage their pain. To learn more about our offerings, or if you have questions about any of the above, contact us today. It is our goal to help patients of all ages live a life that is full, healthy, and happy. We know how difficult it can be to face pain every single day, and it is our goal to help you find solutions that work for your specific needs. Don’t hesitate to give our pain management clinic a call today and get started.